Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, affects millions of people worldwide. We see many patients struggling with this affliction in our office. So don’t worry! It is a common dental issue– but it can lead to tooth loss and other health problems. In this article, we will discuss the symptoms, prevention, and treatment of gum disease, as well as in-office dental services that can help you maintain healthy gums.
Portrait Dental proudly serves the GTA and surrounding areas with professional and kind dental expertise. We’re thrilled to inform you online, but when you’re ready, give us a call at 416 534 6000 and come visit us at our offices!
Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
The first signs typically include bleeding gums during brushing or flossing. Other symptoms of gum disease include:
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Receding gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Changes in your bite or the way your teeth fit together
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- Changes in the way your dentures fit
If you experience any of these symptoms, you should schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. Early detection and treatment are crucial to prevent the progression. If you’re feeling inspired, you can book your consultation with us here!
Treatment for Gum Disease
There are several treatment options for healthier gums, depending on the severity of the condition. Your dentist may recommend one or more of the following treatments:
- Scaling and root planing: This deep cleaning procedure removes plaque and tartar from the teeth and roots.
- Antibiotics: Your dentist may prescribe antibiotics to kill the problematic bacteria.
- Surgery: In advanced cases of periodontal disease, surgery may be necessary to remove damaged tissue and regenerate bone and gum tissue.
Your dental health directly connects to your total health. After all, your mouth is located right next to your brain! That’s why it is important to follow your dentist’s instructions for at-home care after you visit our office. After treatment, make sure to follow up with regular check-ups and maintenance to ensure the continued health of your gums and teeth.
Now that we understand how we can treat periodontal disease, let’s take a look at preventing it all together!
Preventing Gum Disease
Prevention is key when it comes to gum disease. Once bacteria sets in to rot your gums, problems invariably ensue. Here are some tips for maintaining good oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash Eating food rich in vitamins and minerals
- Avoiding tobacco products and excessive alcohol consumption
In addition to these tips, remember to schedule regular dental check-ups to detect and prevent periodontal disease early on. Don’t hesitate to give us a call at 416 534 6000 to get started.
In-Office Dental Services for Gum Disease
In addition to regular check-ups and preventive care, dental professionals offer specialized in-office services to treat and prevent gum disease. Some of these services include:
- Laser therapy: A minimally invasive procedure that uses lasers to remove damaged tissue and promote the growth of healthy tissue.
- Oral irrigation: A method of cleaning below the gum line using a stream of water to remove plaque and bacteria.
- Fluoride treatments: A topical application of fluoride to help strengthen teeth and prevent decay.
These services are the most effective at preventing and treating gum disease. With proper aftercare, they will help improve the overall health and appearance of your smile. If you’d like more information about the services we provide at Portrait Dental, check them out here. Periodontal disease is no reason to shy away from the dentist’s chair, so come on in for a visit!
Your Dental Health is Complete at Portrait Dental
Gum disease is a serious dental condition that can lead to tooth loss, bone damage, and other health problems if left untreated. By recognizing the symptoms, seeking early treatment, and maintaining good oral hygiene habits, you can help prevent and manage gum disease. In-office dental services, such as laser therapy, oral irrigation, and fluoride treatments, provide additional support for preventing and treating periodontal disease. You can find a complete look at our services here.
Lastly, for the best possible dental health, remember to come to Portrait Dental’s office for regular cleanings! Portrait Dental is here to help guide you on your journey to a perfect smile. If gum disease is preventing you from flashing your smile, don’t wait to get started. We are here to make it simple, easy, and comfortable for you.