Dental anxiety is a common phobia that many of our patients at Portrait Dental suffer from. In fact, many Canadians struggle with dental anxiety, and it keeps them from getting necessary treatments or pursuing a better smile. Well at Portrait Dental we offer sedation dentistry, a fabulous service that helps everyone feel more comfortable at the dentist’s office.
We hope that covering the details of sedation dentistry in this article will help you achieve the smile of your dreams. Remember, you’re not alone in experiencing dental anxiety. So keep reading to find out how you can overcome your phobia and get the smile you deserve!
What is Sedation Dentistry
Using medication to help patients relax during treatments and procedures, sedation dentistry, or ‘sleep dentistry’, refers to the various treatments that dentists use to help patients relax. Usually, patients are awake however, there are treatments that use general anesthesia, which puts the patients fully asleep.
Here’s a quick look at the different levels of sedation:
- Minimal: You’re awake but relaxed. Usually, this included an anti-anxiety medicine.
- Moderate: You may slur your words when speaking and not remember much of the procedure.
- Deep sedation: You’ll be on the edge of consciousness
- General anesthesia: You’re completely unconscious
With so many options, surely there’s a level of sedation that will help you meet your dental goals. So let’s take a look at the finer details, and what sedation dentistry looks like in the GTA.
Sedation Dentistry in Toronto
Why should you choose Portrait Dental for your sedation dentistry? Because we believe that everyone deserves to show off a smile they’re proud of. Our team of professionals is proud to work at an elegant and modern dental office in the GTA. We are proud to be a part of this community, serving families and friends with a variety of services.
So give us a call at 416 534 6000. We can’t wait to hear about your goals for your smile!
Sedation Dentistry FAQs
Looking for the details about sedation dentistry? We’ve got you covered! Understanding the process helps break down the fear!
What types are there?
To achieve different levels of sedation, there are a few different types of sedation used in dentistry. Your dentist will talk to you about options, and which of the following type best matches your goals.
- Inhaled Sedation: This type of sedation involves breathing in nitrous oxide, otherwise known as ‘laughing gas’, mixed with oxygen. The dentist carefully controls how much gas you receive, as it is both highly effective and wears off quickly. This is one of the only options where you may be able to drive yourself home, so for convenience, it’s a great option to consider.
- Oral Sedation: One of the great benefits of this type of sedation is that you can control the strength by how much you take. Depending on the dosage, you can achieve minimal to moderate sedation. The drugs used for this sedation vary, so make sure to talk to your dentist about the options available. It’s also one of the more commonly used techniques because it’s so effective for a number of treatments. Some people can become groggy enough that they even fall asleep, though they can still be woken.
- IV Sedation: With a gentle needle, you’ll receive a sedative drug to your vein. This is a fast and effective sedation technique that allows the dentist to continually adjust the level of relaxation.
- General Anesthesia: Either unconscious or nearly there, with this sedation method, you receive medications that place you into a deep sleep-like state. You can’t be easily awakened until the effects of the medication wear off, and you don’t remember the procedure.
In addition to these types, there’s also a local anesthetic, which is a numbing medication for any needles that may be used in the process.
Who can get it?
For most people with dental anxiety, sedation dentistry is a good option. Not going to the dentist for months or years on end is usually much worse than the potential negatives of sedation.
Generally, sedation dentistry is appropriate for those who:
- Have a low pain tolerance
- Can’t sit still in a dental chair
- Have very sensitive teeth or a gag reflex
- Need a large amount of dental work done
The technique is even useful for children who have developed severe dental anxiety. Most of the techniques are highly adjustable, which means they can be formulated to suit most patients.
Is it safe?
There’s always a general risk in getting anesthesia, but usually, it’s safe. Especially if proper considerations are taken by a well-trained dentist, there’s usually nothing to worry about. In cases of those who are obese or have obstructive sleep apnea, your dentist will carefully consider the treatment as these patients are more likely to develop complications.
Overcoming Dental Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry
Dental phobia or anxiety can range anywhere from nervousness about your appointments to a complete aversion to them. For some, sitting in a dentist’s chair is about the worst thing they can imagine. That’s why sedation dentistry is so helpful to those who struggle with this phobia.
You don’t have to choose between your peace of mind and a better, whiter smile. With so many options for sedation dentistry to choose from, there’s surely an option that will work for you. Imagine it– you really have all the tools available to overcome your fears.
The first step is a call to Portrait Dental: 416 534 6000.
Get Sedation Dentistry in Toronto with Portrait Dental
Sedation dentistry is an important tool in the dentist’s toolkit. It allows dentists to treat patients who otherwise would never find themselves in the office. Regular dental cleanings are essential to good oral hygiene and health. So take your understanding of sedation dentistry and arm yourself with the confidence to overcome your fears. Information really is power– that’s why you should check out our article on common cosmetic dental procedures here. Once you’re informed, you’ll start to realize your fears are manageable.
Your perfect smile is waiting!